Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Silken Tofu and Soup

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't like vegans. I'm sorry but if you are a vegan you have given up your right to have any opinion or talk to me about anything. You have given up the nature of your being if you are a vegan. Now that being said I am trying to cut back on my saturated fat intake and I have a great tip for anyone trying to do the same.

Try using silken tofu in your cream soups in stead of cream. The tofu will give the soup a richer mouth-feel like cream but doesn't bring all of the fat that cream does. Now I don't have a tried and true substitution of tofu for cream so you have to play around.

For a quart of soup I would start with about 4 ounces of silken tofu. Now remember past a certain amount you will start to taste to tofu so think about the flavor profile of your soup. A stronger flavored soup can take a bit more tofu than one with more subtle flavors.

To add the tofu all you need to do is puree it in a blender with some of the liquid. You are going to want to strain the tofu and liquid mixture because no matter how well you blend it there will be little white specks so strain it through a fine mesh sieve or a cheesecloth lined sieve of medium fineness.

So get in the kitchen and experiment this week now that the cold weather has made a brief return. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment