Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Public Service Announcement About Cheese

Fresh Mozzarella should never go into a refrigerator. In fact if you buy some on a cold day you should bring a nice little warm container with you to hold it in if you plan on being out and about for a while. There is really no argument here so if you disagree with me you are simply wrong so don't waste your breath.

I am bringing this up because I was planning my dinner the other night and lamenting the fact that unless I want to drive into Philadelphia I can't find fresh mozzarella of any kind that is not vacuum packaged and refrigerated. Even the cheese shop at the farmer's market I go to puts their mozzarella in the reach-in fridge. Just a shame.

The way you fix this problem is by eating your cheese the day you buy it. Isn't that just a simple fix? Sounds crazy thought? Not keeping food in the fridge for a few weeks is very Un-American. Well in this case plan your meals around the day you can get to your cheese monger and trust me you will be happier and better off for it.

Now you know and as we all know knowing if half the battle. The other half is not butting your damn cheese in the fridge. Oh and the last half is knowing that butter doesn't have to go in the fridge if you plan on using it up in a week or so. On that note neither does buttercream.

So remember America refrigeration is great but some items, especially your fresh hand made mozzarella, should never ever be punished by being placed in that cold box of doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment