Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Profile Picture

Some people have asked what the hell my profile picture is. Well truthfully nobody has asked but I just feel like sharing because I just found all these old pictures (well actually they were sent to me thanks to an old school friend) and I feel like doing something with them.



This cake was one of the first cakes if not the first cake I ever covered in fondant. Now a quick word to the wise. Fondant is stupid. It looks nice if you know how to cover a cake with it but basically it is stupid. Fondant is much to sweet and has the consistency of leather if you boiled it for a really long time. At least it is what I imagine boiled leather to be like. That is to say fondant is unpleasant. The end. As a home baker avoid the stuff because it just isn't worth the money and making it yourself never yields the high quality results you see on your television or on professional cakes (because ALL professionals buy their fondant). So focus on making your cakes taste delicious and let them look like they were made with love and fresh, local, great tasting ingredients.

Now back to the happy green cake :) This was a spring cake so I piped my own Peeps on top and made fake jelly beans for the side. I would have loved to make jelly beans and peeps but this had to be done in a day and those tasks have an overnight drying stage.

So there you have it, all of you wonderful readers who don't bother to ask thoughtful questions, the answer to your unasked question. Just don't ever ask me to make you a cake like this one because I won't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment