Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Sad Truth of Artificial Flavors

Today at work I experienced what artificial flavors have done to the palates of people. We had to use an artificial strawberry flavored fruit paste and nobody seemed to have a problem that the end result tasted nothing like strawberry but instead just like cotton candy. The paste had so little strawberry flavor that all it brought to the party was sweetness. Sitting here writing I still can't believe that nobody had an issue with calling a product strawberry flavored that tasted nothing like strawberry, not even remotely!

I blame the prevalence of artificial flavors for this problem. I also blame the laziness of people who don't want to cook so they buy processed food which is generally inexpensive so it contains inexpensive ingredients such as artificial flavors.

I understand there is a market for products made with artificial flavors but I won't believe we can't make flavors that at least taste a little like the food they are names after. Flavor scientists I am very disappointed in you. I'm also disappointed in anyone who doesn't care enough about their product to use artificial flavors when they don't have to and they are just being cheap. Shame on you. Have some pride in your product and use good quality ingredients and flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment