Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Chefs Obsession with Pictures

First off happy weekend. Secondly here are some blurry photos of molded chocolates my wife and I made this past weekend. Enjoy trying to decipher what you are looking at in these extremely high quality photos.

Posting photos brings me to a point that has always bothered me; why are chefs and foodies obsessed with pictures of food? Food is not art. I'm sorry but it isn't. Food can entice you with visual appeal and it is true some people will choose to eat or not eat food because of the way it looks but food is not art so stop treating it like it is.

Food is fleeting. You make it, eat it, and it is gone. The end. I understand that most restaurants thrive on consistency. Every plate needs to look the same every time. This works if you are a quick service or casual dining but when it comes to fine dining consistency should mean amazing food every time. In the arena of fine dining I hate seeing the same menu on multiple trips to a restaurant. What does this have to do with pictures you ask? Many restaurants take snapshots of dishes to create consistency.

Now onto the diners. Stop taking pictures of your food. Just eat it OK! Get off your high horse and stop acting like you are so damn special. Enjoy the food in the moment because you are wasting it by taking that picture.

Until recently I never photographed anything I made because I despise having to make the same thing twice. Where is the fun in that? When people see photos they often time want exactly what they see and homey don't play that!

Now onto the below photos. They are all the same yet different. The shells are all milk chocolate and filled with a very soft brandy ganache and a small bite of cinnamon marshmallow.

As always if you want recipes or tips to make these or anything else at home just ask!

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment