Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Highland Kitchen in Somerville MA

I was visiting Boston this weekend and found myself in Somerville looking for a place to eat. Luckily for me my friends live just a few buildings away from Highland Kitchen

I really can't say enough about this restaurant. From the outside I would have walked by this place. The building is nothing special on the outside but once you step inside things change.

At this point you should be warned that unless you arrive at the beginning of dinner service you are going to wait. Even if you show up at 10 pm you are going to wait. This place is extremely popular with the locals and is always very busy.

Highland Kitchen serves what I call southern comfort food with a local New England twist. The food is fresh, homemade, seasonal, and delicious. I could honestly go on for a few paragraphs about how much I enjoyed my dinner but I wouldn't want to make you all jealous.

There were five of us dining and we did not order a dish that was not enjoyed. I would strongly suggest the short rib potato gnocchi. These gnocchi rival the best that I have had at any Italian restaurant.

The locals might just appreciate the bar at Highland Kitchen more than the food. The bar is stocked better than many fine dining restaurants and the bar tenders are extremely skilled. They specialize in classic cocktails as well as a nice selection of local beer.

The service is also top notch. The waitstaff was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and very polite. The best part was the little touches of service that make dining out enjoyable. My water was always full, my waitress was always available, and I was brought all the items I needed before I needed them. Dessert menus were brought after dinner without us having to ask and a manager took time to talk with us and make sure we had had a great time.

I hope anyone in the Somerville area will stop in Highland Kitchen and support a very well run local restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. And how! Hope the rest of your weekend went as well :-) I don't see a review of a steakhouse up here...

    ReplyDelete